In the mid-noughties, the exercise ball was the hot new office seating solution. Now, it’s making a comeback.
But does an exercise ball improve posture, enhance comfort and eliminate lower back pain?
Posture on an exercise ball
The unstable nature of an exercise ball demands the constant engagement of core abdominal muscles in order to stay upright.
Stronger abs protect the lower lumbar region, enhance stability and promote better posture.
However, prolonged activation of the abdominal muscles can lead to muscle fatigue.
After just a few hours at a desk, you find yourself slumping forward with your feet tucked under the ball.
Comfort of exercise balls as office seating
Exercise balls just aren’t all that comfortable!
They may be soft and flexible. However, the contact surface with the body is much larger than with an office chair. This significantly reduces comfort levels.
Office chair seats are designed to distribute weight away from muscles, ligaments and tendons onto the sitting bones, which can withstand greater pressure.
Exercise balls have a standard height. Unless you’re reasonably tall, you’ll find yourself reaching for the desktop.
The end result? Excess strain on the wrists, elbows and shoulders.
Your body will be constantly perched forward on the ball.
The best office chairs are fully adjustable to accommodate individual requirements.
Lack of support
An exercise ball doesn’t provide any support for the back and arms. In turn, this increases the strain on the lumbar region, neck and shoulders.
After a while, you slouch forward and brace your body by extending your legs. This posture can exacerbate muscular aches and pains.
Office tips for optimum back health
Fortunately, there are better ways of managing lower back pain.
- Stretch your back muscles periodically throughout the work day.
- Go for a regular back massage to increase blood flow, relax stiff muscles and promote healing.
- Constantly change positions while seated to reduce the pressure on one area of the body and eliminate stiffness, aches and pains.
- Get up and move around the office every 30 minutes. Take a bathroom break, replenish your glass of water or deliver messages to colleagues in person rather than by WhatsApp or email.
- Invest in a fully adjustable and ergonomically designed office chair that gives optimal support.
About our EasyPro office chair: best for back health
The EasyPro highback is an independently certified ergonomic chair. It offers advanced comfort and support, for optimal back health.
This award-winning office chair features:
- adjustable Italian-made armrests and adjustable lumbar support
- smooth, easy height adjustment
- automatic synchronisation of the recline of the backrest with the seat tilt, for optimal support
- breathable mesh backrest
- a sturdy five-star base with high-durability castors.
At K-Mark, we don’t offer exercise balls as office seating – but we do manufacture an extensive range of high-quality office chairs. Contact us for more information or to discuss your needs.